On the Optimal Weight 4 & 2 & 1 Plan you may incorporate a starch, fruit, or dairy choice into one of your meal times. Remember to keep your meals at six per day, spaced two to three hours apart, for optimal blood sugar and hunger control.
In general, one serving of starch is:
- 1 slice bread
- 1/3 cup of cooked rice or pasta
- 1/2 cup of cooked cereal or starchy vegetable
In general, one serving of fruit is:
- 1 small (110g) piece of fresh fruit such as pear, apple, orange, etc.
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen fruit
In general, one serving of dairy is:
- 3/4 cup (170g) low-fat yogurt (fewer than 120 calories)
- 1 cup unsweetened low- or non-fat milk (cow, soy, almond, cashew)